I came up with the recipe for these recovery treats a few weeks ago! They’re my favourite at the end of a hard training day. I used HumanN’s Collagen Peptides Plus Whey protein powder, plus they’re packed with healthy fats from cashews and coconut oil, with a little sea salt in there to replenish my sodium stores.
I’ve tried making these both with HumanN’s vanilla Collagen Peptides Plus Whey protein flavor, as well as the salted caramel. Normally I’m on team vanilla, but for this recipe I actually prefer the salted caramel! You can try adding the protein last, and making half a batch of each flavour to see which you like better.
I also find these treats great on especially long training days, like when I’m out backcountry skiing. They keep me full, and if I drink some electrolyte mix that has some carbs, that’s all I need.
(These measurements make 30 protein balls)
– 1.5 cups Whole Cashews
– 1 ½ cup of Collagen Peptides Plus Whey Protein, flavor of your choice. My favorite for this recipe is the Salted Caramel.
– 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
– ¼ cup Coconut oil
– 1 tsp finely ground Sea salt
– 3 tbsp Maple Syrup
– 1/3 cup Cashew butter
– Optional – 1tsp Espresso powder, if you’re a coffee fan! If not, omit.
– Optional – 1 cup Coconut flakes, for rolling
1. Roast cashews in oven at 350 for 10 minutes, stirring every ~3 minutes. You can skip this step, but roasting the nuts brings out the oils in them and makes this recipe taste extra good!
2. Grind cashews in a food processer until basically a granular flour, with some small chunky bits. If you don’t have a food processor, a magic bullet works!
3. Add all other ingredients, except coconut flakes, to food processor and blend until combined. It should either clump together in one big lump, or when you squeeze some it will hold its shape.
4. Measure out 1 tbsp of mixture, and roll in to balls using your hands.
5. Roll in toasted coconut flakes if desired.
6. Freeze in an airtight container!
92 Calories per ball.
Macros: 17% carbs, 62% fat (healthy fats only!), 21% protein