It’s a new year my humanN friends! It’s time to:
- Take care of our bodies! – mentally and physically, we must respect our amazing machine.
- Say yes to being a rookie at least once a day – it can get easy being a veteran (doing things we’re good at and comfortable doing). Be a rookie today! And read more below to get an exclusive Yancy Camp training offer to say yes to!
- Develop a pause button – before we approach every situation, meeting, issue, social interaction, etc. we’re going to hit our pause button and remind ourselves to be present, focused, and bring big positive energy
- Flush to green – when something frustrates us and sends us in to our yellow or even red zone, we’re going to develop strategies to quickly flush back to green
- Choose our attitude – It’s our choice every single day before we roll out of bed, get out of our car to walk in to work, walk in to a meeting, sit down to dinner with our family, etc. Let’s light up the planet in 2019 by choosing to have an attitude that people want to gravitate toward.
The goal with this workout is to provide a safe, convenient, and effective workout that hits all major muscle groups while also providing aerobic conditioning.
Strength band resistance workout
- Squats x 10
- Side to side row x 20 (10 each side)
- Push-ups x 10
- Kneeling hip thrust x 10
- Split squat jump or lunge step w/side to side row x 10 (5 each side)
- Skip x 1 minute
- This completes 1 round
- Continue repeating for a total of 5-7 rounds
Individual exercise benefits
- Strength band squats provide a safe method to help increase lower body strength and build lean muscle.
- The side to side rows are hitting the back and biceps along with a slight trunk rotation.
- The push-ups are hitting the chest and triceps while also requiring core stabilization to complete the reps.
- The kneeling hip thrust for many is a great way to encourage glute activation by turning on the glutes and encouraging proper hip extension. If your current range of motion/mobility prevents this movement, replace it with an additional set of squats.
- The split squat or lunge step w/side to side row is a great exercise to improve balance and coordination while also working in lower body and upper body pull (back and bicep) strength training, along with the slight trunk rotation that comes with the side to side rows.
- The skip is a great way to get the heart rate up without having access to a typical cardio machine we see in many gyms and without needing a large space to cover distance. You can also replace the skip with running in place.
As I mention in the video, this workout pushes all the excuses you may have to the side. It’s convenient, effective, doesn’t take much time, inexpensive, and you can do it anywhere. Keep your eyes out for more workouts in 2019 and here’s to lighting up the planet every single day!
In this workout, I’m using a Power Systems Strength Band, which is a convenient tool for accomplishing full body functional fitness strength training.